The Wrestlers, Highgate

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
The sort of pub that always seems dark, even on the sunniest days, the Wrestlers is a bit of a find in Highgate. Decked out in dark wood, with minimal modern lighting on the walls and a stunning Inglenook fireplace, the Wrestlers offers punters the opportunity to step up to a set of mounted antlers and participate in its biannual Swearing on the Horns, a silly tradition allegedly dating back to 1635 (the pub itself started life in 1547). Ceremonials aside, this remains a fine boozer, with plenty to tempt the palate on the drinks front, along with a small upmarket but reasonably priced food menu. There's plenty of space available, with some comfy sofas to the front, and proper pub furniture in the back and a couple of huge tables providing plenty of space to spread your newspaper. There's also ample outdoor seating which seemed to be metamorphosing into a conservatory on our visit. Even though we've known it to close on weekday afternoons (as it's a bit too quiet to keep it open) The Wrestlers is a fine place to enjoy a pint or two in.
25 Nov 2013
Nice pub, wood smokey atmosphere, good choice and quality of ales but the food is overpriced and completely substandard. Go there but not to eat...
25 Nov 2013
Nice pub, wood smokey atmosphere, good choice and quality of ales, however the food is overpriced and completely sub standard. Go there but don't eat..
21 Jul 2012
To be fair, staff have undergone substantial changes of late. Some of the new guys are great. Others still need a bit of training in the Wrestlers' style as they can come across a little arrogant like the staff in central London tourist pubs. That aside, this is still one of the best pubs in the whole of London and certainly sells the best tasting London Pride.
13 Feb 2012
I didn't recognise review given by 'Bloomboom' of 5th January 2012 at all. Despite the pub being very busy my friends and I were served a very pleasant Sunday lunch in lovely atmosphere enhanced by roaring fire, which was most welcome on a very cold day. I found staff welcoming and very polite and accommodating and will most certainly recommend and return.
05 Jan 2012
I used to love this place and would regularly visit but now I wouldn't visit again. The pub is still beautiful and the selection of food and drink is fantastic but this is completely overshadowed our experience with the staff on the day. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!

98 North Road, Highgate, London, N6 4AA