Three Compasses, Hornsey

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
Situated on an imposing corner plot, one can only imagine the rise and fall which befell this nondescript area to have such an impressive pub. Still, its on the up again and the Three Compasses now markets itself to attract the younger flat sharing Hornseyites. The front section is a comfortable mix of leather couches and wooden tables, with the back section a barn of a room with a pool table, two dart boards and a large screen. This helps separate those into watching the football from those who aren't interested. We can only commend their commitment to real ale and there's usually six on tap - three regular and three guest ales. By appealing to such a wide catchment of clientele, there were old men, young trendy groups, mid 30s couples, and a small smattering of sport-watching geezers all coexisting peacefully. On more than one occasion we've eaten Sunday Lunch here and have never been disappointed, so it's a shame that our most recent foray into the weekday menu was rewarded with pretty poor results. As such we've knocked the Three Compasses back down to a three pint rating. Despite this, if this was your local you'd be pretty happy.
01 Mar 2012
Agree with the review and it was a shame one bad visit puts this rating down to 3/5. I was working up the road from this pub for a week and spent every lunchtime and evening in there to get away from some very long working hours! The lunches were amazing. Truly amazing home cooked, freshly prepared food at a great price. The home made pies and burgers are superb. The ale is brilliant too! Well kept and lovely choice from the range on offer. I'd almost give this 5/5 - certainly very close! If I'm ever in Hornsey again I'll be popping in here. The staff were great too!
25 Apr 2010
Just a quick message to say i love this place friendly staff always make me feel as if this is my local even though i usually only manage to get in occasionaly these days as i no longer live in the area. I now live out in hertfordshire but still go in for sunday lunch at least twice a month. I was surprised to see a negative comment on here about the staff, all i can think is that whoever the staff member was back in 2007 they must no longer be there.
18 May 2009
Once again, as a regular, I have to say this is a pretty damn fine pub - and the negative comment about bar staff seems out-of-date.
05 Sep 2008
Best pub in the area by a mile.

Decent food and a good selection of beer. Segregated sport/Sky area too.

Give it a whirl and ignore the negative review as one experience of a drink being knocked over isn't a reason to ignore this gem. 4 star rated for a very good reason!
04 Sep 2008
I'm a big fan of this pub, and I don't recognise the things said in the negative comments. The staff are good and know how to serve; they are very good at closing time, and give you plenty of notice to drink up.

62 High Street, Hornsey, London, N8 7NX
Opening times
Mon - Thur 11am to 11pm
Fri & Sat 11am to Midnight
Sun Noon to 11pm
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Quiz night - BrainBlaster Quiz Mondays from 8pm - "probably London's Toughest Quiz"
Beer festival - Festivals held at various times through the year.

Claimed by