Town of Ramsgate, Wapping

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Popular with the people who live roundabout, this old pub has had its up and downs in the past, but has settled down over the last few years to become a jolly decent boozer. Whilst the Town of Ramsgate is, by and large a locals' pub, it's not at all unwelcoming (unlike some not too far away). The pub is an old, narrow building next to one of the first warehouses to be converted into apartments (well before the 80's property boom) and backs onto the Thames where it has a small terrace with a limited view of the river. It's a well maintained pub, with a good choice of Cask Marque ales and a relatively recent redecoration has done nothing to spoil the old-world (as opposed to olde-worlde) atmosphere. There are all sorts of historical claims made about the place (e.g. Judge Jeffreys was captured here attempting to flee to the continent) so it often appears on the tourist map, but not many of them manage to seek the pub out. Despite the fact that this area was the heart of the old London docks - and at one time there were 36 pubs on Wapping High Street alone, Wapping is nowadays a pub desert and, of the few pubs that are left, the Town of Ramsgate is certainly one of the best.
01 Nov 2012
This is a fine pub. The landlord and staff do a great job of keeping the small range of beers in fine condition. The place does decent food, is normally very friendly and has a nice seating area backing onto the Thames on a sunny afternoon. Champion.
26 Aug 2010
The only proper pub in the area, Doom Bar on tap is good as is the other guest ale (Name escapes me. Erg.). Decent pub food in nice large portions with a changing menu. Rumours I have heard about the landlord have proved unfounded, he's a nice old bloke and the atmosphere very congenial. Gets full on Monday quiz night which is very much an "event".
17 Nov 2009
I've been to this pub twice. Both times I have been asked to vacate my table by barstaff. Both times I have meekly complied. Tonight we were 6. We had spent about £45 nad the landlord slapped a notice on our table, explaining it was quiznight and we would have to vacate for "regulars". We duly complied and moved to the last free table. The landlord then said that was no good we couldn't sit there!

I asked then where could we sit? "Well how much are you going to spend?", he said. I pointed out we had spent almost £50 already. He replied, he wasnt sure he wanted us to stay. We were 2 scots , 2 black guys, 1 north african and 1 English guy, I wonder what was wrong with our money? Beware.
14 Sep 2008
great choice of real ales and food with friendly staff, one of my favourite pubs.

62 Wapping High Street, Wapping, London, E1W 2PN