William IV, Walthamstow

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
With an exterior covered in flowers this is a good looking pub from the outside, while the lush interior of King William IV didn't disappoint either. The pub's Victorian features seemed still pretty much intact, complete with an unusual S-shaped bar which snaked its way through the two room pub. Staff were attentive and most pleasingly, the clientele was refreshingly lively and varied. In the past, the pub has been commended for it's micro brews and after a long hiatus the 'Sweet William' brewery returned, now almost open for three years now. On our visit the pub was offered a dizzying array of Brodies ales - around 6 on tap and many more in bottles. At £1.99 a pint, they were also very good value, as is the simple pub grub. Overall a pleasant place to spend time and a good pub in an area that needs them.
11 Dec 2011
I have to admit I live in the town of Milton Keynes, where almost all 'pubs' are as sterile as the gassed-up sh*te most of them serve. Therefore, virtually any 'real' pub would be better than what's available there, but I was particularly pleased to discover Brodie's gem by accident in the late summer. Since then, I've managed 4 visits, and every one was great: it's a wonderful bar with fantastic artefacts, the place is used by great characters, it has great atmosphere, and there's a superb selection of real ales.

The pints of Amarilla & Dalston Black I had yesterday were superb: even the most zealous purist from CAMRA couldn't have faulted either of them in my opinion.

So, well done Brodie's. I'll make the effort to visit whenever I'm in London.
19 Jun 2011
Am sorry to say that on a Saturday night (18 June), the William IV was a depressing place to be. Silent Dad's Army on the telly, while overly loud early 90s euphoric dance tunes (some rather good) throbbed through a cluttered interior. There are many beautiful features (the s-shaped bar, the Trumans mirror) but the pub needs a sprucing up and a clearing out. Service was not rude but the staff had an overwhelming air of wishing they were somewhere else. Brodies beers are super, in the main, and this was the draw for our visit. Sadly, the pints of California were room temperature (both pints - the line must be a long one!) and the American Brown was flat as a pancake. Given the small number of punters and gloomy atmosphere, we left without finishing. I like pubs with dartboards and quiz machines, et al., and particularly love the idea of all that in a brewery tap - but these days, the offer has to be first rate and that simply isn't the case here. Noticeable that the Spoons over the road, with impeccable service, meet the brewer nights and top notch ales was full (and this despite the William IV's keen pricing of £1.99 for ales). A spruce-up and, perhaps, a reduction in the number of ales to prevent spoiling would do the William IV the world of good.
19 Mar 2010
Best pub in the area (along with the North Star). You'll appreciate this more if you like real ale (excellent micro brewery), football (big screens), traditional fixtures and fittings and a slightly odd, mixed but friendly clientelle. A four pint pub, clearly.

816 High Road Leyton, Walthamstow, London, E10 6AE

BBQ - BBQs and hog roasts
Beer festival - regular beer festivals