Ye Grapes, Shepherd Market

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Ye Grapes is a handsome old building set in a corner of Shepherd Market, containing an eccentric collection of olde worlde knickknacks - lots of stuffed animals, for instance, creating a cosy sort of feel to the interior. It's been a favourite of the people who work and live around here for a good while now, but, a year or two ago it seemed to have been experiencing something of a decline. Now that negative trend appears to have been reversed. The interior has been repainted and the seats reupholstered, the plentiful staff are attentive and, most importantly, there's decent ale all on all six hand pumps, pretty much all of the time. (Previously, there had been times where there was no beer at all). The beer is pretty good with a few interesting guests mixed with regulars such as Spitfire, Wandle, Pride and a couple of Ye Grapes branded brews - all well-kept. For the hungry, there's Thai food and toasties available seven days a week and there are a couple of TVs for the sport. And in winter the added bonus of a real fire. We're happy to report the Ye Grapes is pretty much back to how it used to be: a popular, loquacious, vibrant pub - it's what Shepherd Market needs.
26 Sep 2011
Years ago, in a terrible winter night, drank a delicious chardonnay in a warm atmosphere.
14 Oct 2008
I have discovered many great pubs via fancyapint.com, and 4 or so years ago this was one of them.

I returned to Ye Grapes back in September, and my heart sank to the soles of my shoes after a few minutes of entering. This is not the pub it once was. The Ale I was served was not a full pint, for some reason only known to the barmaid who served it. The interior and upholstery is indeed very tatty now, and there was a massive plastic banner the full length of the front bar advertising the meal deal on at that moment. It could barely have been more out of place in any other pub in London. Even the lighting seemed different, as if they were trying to get by on cheap light bulbs, and it was certainly under a cold light in which me and my friends sipped just the one pint before moving on. I feel slightly heart-broken. This may, I fear, be a little indicative of what is happening to the pub trade at the moment.
17 Aug 2008
have just spent a few hours at Ye Grapes and was sorely disappointed. initially brightening at the sight of 6 handpumps for real ales (and sampling three) I got rather depressed by the scruffiness of the place. Not only were the beers not very nice / well kept, they cost £3.50 each and were served with a grunt and an air of annoyance rather than a smile. I get the impression this pub did use to be something special. I wouldn't make the effort to turn up here again and only lasted three drinks because of good company.

16 Shepherd Market, Shepherd Market, London, W1J 7QQ