Ye Olde Cock Tavern, Fleet Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Following yet another a refit, Ye Olde Cock Tavern has moved away from the bland look of before and brought itself back into a more 'traditional' guise, with a mix of dark wood furniture. Don't be misled by the name of this pub though, this is all very much in the manner of a chain pub and there are a number of very similar pubs not too far way. Vertical drinking is order of the day around the bar, but this place is deceptively large with seating at the back and three more floors of seating above. A handful of ales are available while the food cheap but uncheerful and the service pretty poor. Our last visit didn't find great food, but we didn't eat on this occasion. We still didn't see enough to improve the rating, though.
10 Jun 2013
We were on holidays, on our final day in London and went in here for a final 'holiday over' pint. I was told by a very rude barmaid that the 50 pound note I had was 'too old' and that I'd need to go to the bank to change it (this being a Sunday). I told her I had just gotten it from an ATM two days previous and she said the bank shouldn't have given it to me. I advised her it was all we had, she said 'So you are saying these will have to come out of my wages?' I said no, I'm trying to pay you and she said 'fine I'll pay for them, now I'll have to ask you to leave'. She was incredibly rude and soured our last day. I later checked on the bank of England website and found that:
'All Bank of England notes from which legal tender status has been withdrawn remain payable at face value forever at the Bank of England in London. Any such notes may be presented for payment either in person during business hours, or sent to us by post.'
It may be policy within the pub not to accept these notes, but in light of the fact that they retain their value and are still being dispensed by ATM's, this woman was (very rudely) throwing away money.
I've worked in customer service for six years, I know how rude the public can be and it is because of people like this woman that the general public have such a bad opinion of shop assistants, many of whom work very hard and are totally unappreciated.
22 Dec 2009
Recent visit for a Christmas drink with nibbles proved an old 2008 review was seriously out of date. Managed to book a space for a dozen, most of whom are serious about their beer. The staff protected our space prior to our arrival, happy to stop anyone using it until they properly identified themselves.

Good range of beers enjoyed over about 5 hours and the platters served up with a smile arrived at the pr-ordered time were delicious, good value and very hot (don’t rush the hot sausages or you’ll get burnt).

Will certainly be visiting again and rate at least 3 pints.
22 Dec 2009

Good range of beers enjoyed over about 5 hours and the platters served up with a smile arrived at the pr-ordered time were delicious, good value and very hot (don't rush the hot sausages or you'll get burnt).

Will certainly be visiting again.

22 Fleet Street, Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1AA