Ye Olde London, St. Paul's

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
No longer the gothic horror theme park, more of a modern traditional hostelry. That said, the miscellaneous London prints dotted on every vertical surface do little to lift the overall flat feel. The fake bookcases downstairs remain but now a standard door marks the Gents' - there used to be hours of fun watching mildly sozzled, bladder-bursting tourists searching for the artfully hidden entrance. There is an excellent variety of beer on hand pumps and an extensive food menu ranging from doughballs or nachos to fish and chips or steak and back again through pasta and baked potatoes. On the last visit the smaller upstairs bar was doing excellent business with family tourist groups chomping away. OK it'll do and is a genuine alternative to the All Bar One next door. But don't for a moment think this is what old (or even olde) London is, or was ever, about.
29 Oct 2011
I popped into Ye Olde London while on a monumental day of touring and walking through London. For the time I spent having a pint and then a tea, I was not displeased. Portions of food that passed me by looked generous and tasty, the cider selection was standard, they had Costa coffee and tea, and they left me in peace to pour over my map and rest my weary soul and soles.

I wandered downstairs for the loo, and while I didn't linger long, enjoyed the atmosphere I found down there as well. Staff was friendly and checked on me often, though I did notice occasionally people were left waiting (the restaurant began to fill up as I sat) and a few got up and left.

It was certainly not a notable or distinct place, but nothing overtly horrifying to make me regret my visit. Given that it's along a major street for walking from the Tower to St. Paul's (whose bright idea was it to walk that far?? And not a cycle hire to be seen!), it's not a bad spot to stop in.

1 Old Bailey, St. Paul's, London, EC4M 7BG