Ye Olde Monken Holt, Barnet

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
One of the better places in High Barnet, Ye Olde Monken Holt has had its ups and downs and since the last review was beginning to look a little rough around the edges. Happily, we can report things are on the up again. After a bit of a refurbishment in 2005, inside is looking cleaner and smarter, albeit in a old fashioned, wood-panelled, home counties kind of way. An extension at the back (sadly shrinking the size of the beer garden in the process, which we bet they regret now) has relegated the big screen football action there, leaving us to sit happily undisturbed in the front. On weekends evenings it gets pretty lively and Sundays are always popular, coupled with fairly basic (but perfectly acceptable) food, along with a couple of real ales. Overall, a great place to rest your weary bones after a long walk in the woodland around Monken Hadley.
06 Aug 2012
Me and my family love this pub! The staff are so friendly and make such a fuss of our kids (and the dog), it makes us feel so welcome. We go there every weekend. My pint is even waiting on the bar before we have sat down. There is a really nice atmosphere, the food is great, the garden is lovely, the drinks are reasonably priced. What more could you ask for? I thoroughly recommend this pub!
18 Jun 2012
This is my favourite pub in Barnet by far.
The bar staff are so nice and attentive, you're alwasy made to feel welcome. They do great food and great beer, not much more you could ask for really!
They have live music every Saturday and Sunday night which is brilliant. Sunday nights' jam night is of a very high standard.
The back garden is a hidden treasure-a lovely place to spend an afternoon.
Can't rate this pub enough!
15 Feb 2010
I was staying in digs in East Barnet whilst working here the weeks running up to Christmas, After trying most of the pubs around the area it soon became apparent that we would need to find a more celubrious and friendly establishment in which to spend out hard earned.

Off to High Barnet for a recce,

After trying the Weatherspoons local offering in the way of the Misty Moon (which incidentally wouldn't look out of place being re-named The Jockey and appearing on an episode of Shameless)we moved across and further up the road to fight night at the Hadley Oak, with the locals that is!

After a quick slurp of lager mixed with Line cleaner we made our exit over the bodies and broken glass to see blue lights illuminating the high street. Thinking the Hadley Oak was the last watering hole on the line we asked a local where we could get a good pint, back to the lights and turn right up past the TA centre we were told, we soon came upon the White Lion and although resembling your Great Grandma's living room it was friendly enough and the beer ok, however seeing that we are relatively young in years we didnt fancy spending the rest of the evening in Gods waiting room so discreetly asked an old boy where we could take a look next. He directed us out of the back door and down a small guinnel (you southerners probably call it an alley way)to Ye Olde Monken Holt.

I must admit by this point we didnt hold out much hope for the Monk (as locals call it) or Barnet in general to be honest but to our surprise they got the best part of a months wages out of us over the next few weeks leaving us bereft of any funds for presents for the family, (hey ho your only young once).

After work hours during the week there is a good buzz about the place, it does seem like a real regulars pub but in my opinion that only made it a friendlier place for a few strangers to spend a night or two on the pop, before long we were soon playing darts and joining in with the locals, Bar staff seemed very good at the job they were doing and all seemed to know how much things cost before umming and arring and trying to work it out on a till.

The Management team also seemed very good, plenty of Screens for the sports, Crib, pub football team, Weekend sees a DJ, a live band and an open Mic night, food is lush, what more can I say, we found what we were looking for, and will hopefully work in the area again soon,it would be good to catch up with the friends we made in the short time we were there.
13 Feb 2010
I spent two very enjoyable evenings at the monken holt last week. I was in barnet visiting my sister who has recently moved to the area. She suggested we tried out the quiz as shed heard good things about it. The pub was lively and buzzing for a week night and the steak night was an added bonus. Great value Delicious steak ( I'm a fussy eater - no salad dressing, garlic butter etc and the staff although busy were friendly and accomodating ). We didn't do too well at the quiz but had a great laugh. Also very good real ale and my sister liked the house wine a bit too much!

My second visit was on Sunday, we had a great roast and were treated to a relaxing evening listening to local musicians as it was accoustic evening ( multi talented quiz master! ).

Overall a fab traditional pub with good food, entertainment and bubbly staff. I'd recommend ye olde monken holt!!

193 High Street, Barnet, London, EN5 5SU