Yorkshire Grey, Gray's Inn Road

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
This is not the pub it used to be and maybe that's a good thing. Site of a microbrewery, once upon a time, it became a gastro pub a while back and seems to have settled into being a decent enough pub, despite the words 'pub and kitchen' on the outside. There's three well-kept ales on tap (Ringwood, Harvey Best, Tribute, when we were in last) friendly staff, decent selection of modern pub grub and ok wine list. There's a room upstairs that can be hired, which is a bit of a hit with afterwork parties. Being located on the corner of Gray's Inn Road means this one regularly pulls in the punters, and factor in the hardwood floor and you have a pub where you often have to shout to be heard. Pretty much a standard after-work drinkery then, but one that's never short of a crowd.
17 Sep 2014
Where do it start?! First of all I asked if I could have a double Burger (£2 extra for one Patti) with Lettuce and Onion only on the Bun, I was asked how I would like the Burger cook and I said Medium please. So all pretty strait forward really but what arrived was far from OK (See Photos Attached)

It came out with what looked like Pizza Sauce saturated on the Bun??? In which when the I lifted the top of the Bun off it collapsed. And it was full of Mayo Tomato and Pickle, all of which I never asked for in the beginning.

As for the Meat itself, well what came out was so overcooked at burnt, it was only edible in the very center. I eat a Burger at least once a week at all the Restaurants in and around London and have done for around 5 years now, so you can say that I’m so what of a Burger Connoisseur and I can hold my head up high in saying this is not only the worst Burger I have ever eaten but it’s the worst Burger I have ever seen!! And I have eaten street Burgers all around the world.

The final insult was when the “Manager?” came over he was so uninterested he simply said “So what do you want me to do about it?”
So I replied “Take it of the bill” In that I was refunded the laughable £12 cost and me and my friend left sharply.

I can’t even give this a 1 Star.

Please, if you respect food in anyway AVOID this place as much as you can!!
07 Sep 2011
Very disappointing. Nice interior but only 2 cask ales on offer. One was undrinkable and I returned it. The other was only marginally better. It makes me mad that pubs like this think they can get away with such crap beer. Avoid.
05 Jul 2011
Really decent local pub, good selection of beers, however the selection of wines really lets it down in my opinion, house white tasted really cheap. Food wise, good selection of what looked pretty much home cooked fare. Busy with office workers and people having meetings.
10 Nov 2008
I think its a year on from current owners taking over.....so only fair to comment. If you are looking for a trendy smart and up its own bum Pub....dont come here. Judging from what I see, this is a decent Pub with a popular upstairs room where the masses from the local offices enjoy meeting up at lunch time and again at night. Overhearing a recent conversation it is also a popular weekend venue for birthday parties. Food wise...the Yorkshire Grey Classic burger is well above average.
08 Jul 2008
Firstly the covering review on this Pub is two years out of date and if local rumour is right it is under new management or ownership. What is the modern Pub...that is the question? I am glad that this hasnt been changed into a MCDONALDS or Pret a Manger. I work with the legal Services locally so I need a drink at least thrice a week. I go here, have a nice Chardonnay or Bombadier, once or twice had a sandwich which was tasty and I watch the world pass by on this busy corner. Its a busy Pub now because the basics are good...apart from above, clean toilets, staff who wipe the counter with a smile and a pride in what they do. I am slowly getting more impressed and I am a real grump....I think it is good so I'll say well done.

2 Theobalds Road, Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8PN
Opening times
Mon-Fri 12:00-23:00
Sat 11:00-01:00
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.