Georges, March

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
30 Jan 2013
The pictures don't do it justice - there have been a lot of changes since they first opened, eg the sooty looking fire place has now gone and a new one has been built with a wood burning stove instead. Also there is now a large arch through to the Restaurant at the far end of the pub which allows a view right through the bar into the Coffee Tavern, but because it is a wide arch (where there used to be another fireplace!)the Restaurant is still a relaxing place to sit and eat a meal.
The food is really good - I would recommend the Sunday Carvery - the beef is especially nice and tastes the way it used to when I was a child. There is also a wide range of local veg available and reasonably priced (£8.95). They serve home-made soup as a starter in the price and it is a family friendly environment- they also allow well-behaved dogs in the Bar and Coffee Tavern. I have also had the sausage and mash with 'dustbin lid' Yorkshire Pudding which is great comfort food- you choose your flavour of mash (I had mine with red onion and black pepper) and gravy (red wine -yum).
They serve home-made cakes and great cappuccino coffee and hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows - very naughty but very nice.
They have lots of different activities during the week - from karaoke, to Bingo/pool/darts and live music on Friday nights but my favourite are the Open Mic sessions on a Sunday where local musicians and singers get together to 'jam'- very relaxing, especially with the odd glass of ale (or two)....
I would definitely recommend a visit, the staff are welcoming and friendly, as are the locals and the real ales and ciders are really good.
27 Jan 2013
Nice clean pub, friendly atmosphere, with great staff and varied entertainment nights
27 Jan 2013
Nice clean pub, friendly atmosphere, great staff with lots of varied entertainment nights
26 Jan 2012
This was my second vist in the last year since moving back to March from Scotland. Years ago I always used to enjoy a pint in what it used to be known as "The George Inn". Since then it has been referbished and changed name. Last year I enjoyed a carvery for my daughters birthday with the family in July and had a loverly time. There was a really nice atmosphere. This time we went for an evening meal on a saturday and it just did not live up to our last visit. The atmosphere seems to have drained from the place and feels a little awkward. Food was ok at best(overpriced for what it is) but the beer was quite good. I get the impression the pub is trying to be something it isnt. Rather than being a nice town centre pub doing good food. I was just generaly disapointed all round with my last visit, which is a real shame as I just want to enjoy the pub I used to know all those years back. Oh well, Iv tried it again and I will move on.

I have given the pub a score of 2 as our nice visit in july would have been a 4 and our recent visit would have been a 0-1 so over all a 2.
16 Dec 2011
I have eaten here several times over the last few weeks and enjoyed both the atmosphere and food. Chelsea (bar maid) was very friendly and Remi (the chef) came and checked to see if I had enjoyed my meal-- I had the house speciality chicken supreme (pan roasted chicken, stuffed with boursin (garlic cheese) and wrapped with bacon--which was delicious! Served with hand cut (definitely NOT frozen or oven chips!)it was lovely. I have also had the Sunday Carvery -- which I helped myself to from the carvery, piping hot and lots of veg, including romanesque broccoli, nice relaxing background music... I am going back there next week with 10 work friends for lunch as a Christmas lunch out, so I'm definitely a fan!
16 Dec 2011
I had a lovely Sunday Carvery meal. Staff were really friendly and checked that my family and I were happy with our meals, which we were-- the roast beef tasted like it used to taste! I had a half pint of Cambridge (local ale) which was light and refreshing, while my children had orange and lemonade. I would highly recommend Georges and wil be going there again.
15 Dec 2011
Suprisingly lacking customers on our visit. We tried a Sunday lunch, it was barely warm and inedible. Real ale was poor (possibly due to lack of custom). The staff left much to be desired. We left most of our meals and drinks and will definitely will not go again. would advise others to do the same.

61, March, March, Cambridgeshire, PE15 9JJ