Black Horse, Locksbottom

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
The Black Horse is a strange place, whose fortunes have ebbed and flowed since we can remember. A few years ago it went through a dreadful phase, oiks and fights-a-plenty. But on our most recent visit we were pleasantly surprised. On a sunny afternoon (which this was), it has pavement seating which offers an opportunity to watch the world go by (if you can get a table - they tend to fill up with nurses from the hospital opposite). Regrettably, the beer garden seems to have been left to rot. On the inside, it has had a refurbishment which, though modernist, is not too bland. The beer is very good - and cheap - 2.55 for a gorgeous pint of Okell's Eastern Spice, as well as other regular and guest beers. There's a broad selection of food too, albeit of the cheap and cheerful variety, with some good curries. Overall, not a bad bet at all - though it's not as good as Ye Olde Whyte Lion just up the road. And it does still have a slight edge...
05 Aug 2014
Management is awful, in fact the worst in 17 years, beer glasses and wine glasses are filthy, food is mediocre as well as over priced for portion sizes (my own being sent back twice as was not cooked). Staff are very demanding and pushing you out the door before drink up time. Pub stated as open until 12 yet without any warning from staff or management yet last Bell was rung at 10.50. As a very social person I would personally never recommend this particular public house to any one person I know. Very unwelcoming pub with an even more unwelcoming atmosphere. Again my personal opinion, if you enjoy a social carefree drink steer well clear!!!
05 Aug 2014
18 Jun 2013
The service was terrible let alone the food!
We went there to order a meal and drinks for my mothers birthday, the bar service was good however we waited 40 minutes for our food, when it did arrive our steak was burnt to the point of charcoal.
When we complained and the waitress agreed it was too burnt and went to replace the steaks. After waiting a further 20 minutes, the steaks were cooked well however they were small and very thin for the price paid.
We did not recieve a pleasant service, the food took too long for a quiet pub and we were not offered any complimentary drink or pudding as an appology which would have been nice.
Will not be visting again.

318 Crofton Road, Locksbottom, Orpington, BR6 8NW