Lower Red Lion, St. Albans

Our rating: FAP Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
No music, no TV and a selection of eight real ales and ciders. No, this isn't another Wetherspoon, but instead a pub that's arguably up there as one of the beat in the South East. This is not only real ale heaven but a jolly fine pub too. Two bars, warped wooden beams, red velvet curtains and a giant fireplace make this a place easy to spend a winter's night, accompanied by a bowl of home-made soup. In summer however the lovely lawned back garden (which also hosts the excellent periodic ale festivals) comes into the fore . The older locals were a lively bunch and didn't seem to mind the day trippers who understandably make a point of coming here, while the service was politeness personified. You're very much spoilt for choice when it comes to pubs in St Albans, but put this one towards the top of your list.
18 Feb 2012
If this pub was anywhere else than St Alban's it would get the highest possible rating but it is in competition with some excellent pubs in this lovely town. I wandered in on an Evening in late January and was struck immeditely by how cosy it was. It has the air of a well established village Local rather than a pub in a Cathedral City.The customers and staff interacted well, the real ales were varied and samples were freely offered to customers. So why can I not give it the highest rating ? Well it was too cosy , too "local" to the extent that I felt I had invaded a private house party. A previous reviewer referred to the politeness of the staff and they were indeed most polite , but I felt they were , at least towards me, polite and cool. As an ex barman, I know that staff cannot be expected to be full of the joys of spring ( especially in January)at all times but I felt a little more could have been done to make me feel a little more welcome. Perhaps if I had visited with some friends I would have formed a different view. It is a pity as this is a most pleasing premises, offering a varied menu ( though I did not eat there) and if I lived in St Alban's I could see it being my local. Also and this is a suggestion NOT a criticism, I would liked to have known a little more about the history of the pub. The building is historic, and Fishpool Street, it is claimed, is a pre-Roman road and the area oozes history, I will however definitely visit here again when I return in March.

36 Fishpool Street, St. Albans, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 4RX