Rose & Crown, St. Albans

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Rose and Crown, along with its similar looking neighbour the Six Bells, helps provide St. Michael's Street with an archetypal country setting. As such - and benefiting from a nice floral display and a super-looking back garden - our hopes were pretty high, so it's with a heavy heart we can only award a two pint rating. Compared to other pubs in St Albans, the choice of ale was pretty disappointing, the handful of locals didn't exactly endear us to the atmosphere and the initial service was miserable, even if, in fairness, the landlord did bid us farewell later. The décor in the back section section wasn't great either, looking a bit tired and reminiscent of the Harvester approach to decoration. It was, however, a Whitney Houston CD that made us leave faster than we would have otherwise. We may have caught the pub on an off day and we can imagine it being a good place for locals, so we'll reserve some judgement until our next visit.
03 Aug 2009
I forgot to mention that they bake their own bread, which is truly tasty.
03 Aug 2009
I'm shocked by the other reviews. I think they really must have caught it at a bad time. I've been to this pub at least a handful of times, though I'm not a local. The staff was very friendly and I love the atmosphere. I love to play darts in that pub and sit by one of the cozy fireplaces. The garden is beautiful and the food is delicious. The sandwiches are excellent, as is the scampi and homemade potato salad. This is one of my favorite pubs in St Albans. The Six Bells is also nice, but the atmosphere is not as nice in my opinion. I suppose it could be a different situation on a Friday night. I usually went there for lunch.

10 St. Michaels Street, St. Albans, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 4SG