The Pig & Butcher, Uckfield

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
07 Dec 2013
Having waited for the new landlord and land lady to settle into our local village pub, we hadn't been to The Pig & Butcher for a meal for a month or so. I booked a table for two at 6.30p.m. for Friday night (6th December) and stepping into the 'new' Pig and Butcher, we were instantly greeted by the smell of fresh paint fumes, a gents toilet labelled 'out of use' and a dour- faced landlord, who viewed us over his spectacles as something that he'd recently scraped off his shoe. Emotionless and with no acknowledgement, he eventually got around to asking what we wanted. He didn't recognise the name Cabernet Sauvignon, which my wife asked for! He clearly didn't know his stock either, as he hunted along the shelves for the elusive wine. He didn't have any, so my wife settled for a Shiraz. Not a good choice- not corked but unpalateable. The pint of Harveys I ordered arrived with a good head- about 3" deep and clearly poured with no attention to detail.

The menu wasn't extensive and I ordered from the specials board- a chicken and mushroom pie, casseroled in red wine with chips and peas. My wife ordered fresh cod in batter and chips with peas. Another error of judgement? No but as it transpired, just an error in going to the pub in the first place.

Our table faced a lovely corner of piled junk (old highchairs, gas canisters, discarded boxes and general rubbish) and any other vacant table (the rest of the restaurant) would have been an improvement on the view offered. We were also told, by the equally dour landlady, that she and her husband were taking their break for a couple of hours, so we felt we had totally inconvenienced them for turning up. Why any publican would chose between 6.45 and 8.45 p.m. to have a break on a Friday night isn't worth asking! Not that it was busy, with only half a dozen locals at the bar and two or three other in the public bar in the next room. Lights were full on, giving all the atmosphere of a Tesco Express.

The food to follow was dreadful. The 'pie' was in fact chunks of pre-cooked chicken, hurled into an insipid watery grave of red wine (debatable) and possibly some stock, with a couple of mushroom slices, with solid, burnt crust pastry placed on top. Insipid and foul was an understatement. The chicken certainly hadn't been casseroled in wine, or even a stock.The shared minute ration of peas was probably the highlight of the meal. My wife's cod was okay but who wants to eat alone, as I had long abandoned all of my meal. It was disgusting and the chef had clearly no idea/qualifications/passion or desire to be employed. I refused to pay. In fact, I offered to pay what I thought it was worth - £1 for the price of electricity for cooking it all.

The landlord and his equally uninspiring wife came to discuss the food and we told them that we were surprised that the standard was so poor. Presented with a golden opportunity of making this village pub really work and to improve on the gastronomic side of the business, they fell considerably short of the mark. They didn't disagree. How could they?

Would I go back? No.
My recommendation would be to not bother until this couple have sorted themselves out and employed a chef who can cook. And a bit of bon homie wouldn't go amiss either!!
03 Aug 2011
When Harvey's aquired this pub in 2008 the locals insisted it return to its original name of the Pig & Butcher which it has done. They serve food at various time throughout the week - it's not the best food but it is certainly pretty good for the price and they offer discounts around Christmas time for bookings of over 20 people. Plenty of space and a big bar - well worth a visit if you're around the Uckfield area.

Five Ash Down, Uckfield, East Sussex, TN22 3AN